One of Dr. Z’s. key maxims is: When in doubt, quote. Transformational leaders demonstrate the attitude of platitude.
Sprinkling your meetings with quotations is the secret formula for demonstrating high performance knowledge management.
To help you leverage your leadership moxie Dr. Z. will bequeath you quotations to share with your staff to instill inspiration, innovation, interaction, insight, and tepid applause.
At your next staff meeting before someone starts up the projector and turns out the lights, command the team’s attention and assertively proclaim:
There is no elevator to success, you have to take the stairs. ~ Source Unknown
Dr. Z. would like to share the leadership lessens of this quotation?
- When you can’t even find the elevator, do not lend your name to a quotation – leave the attribution as anonymous.
- This quotation is invalid if you work at the top of the Empire State Building.
- Beware of false dichotomies: Notice that there is no mention of an escalator.
- If the elevator is broken – call a repair person – if there really is no elevator move to another building.
- A true leader empowers, empower your minions to take the stairs for you while you take the credit and the kudos of all successes for your team – this will be sure to endear you to your staff as they recognize what a team player you really are.
Reflective Leadership Point to Ponder: If you actually did take the stairs, where would you put them?
Picture Credit: Patterson park pagoda stairs by http://flickr.com/photos/jepoirrier/512433995/