Welcome back to Dr. Z’s Leadership Institute Quotation Corner.
The most dangerous leadership myth is that leaders are born – that there is a genetic factor to leadership. This myth asserts that people simply either have certain charismatic qualities or not. That’s nonsense; in fact, the opposite is true. Leaders are made rather than born. ~ Warren G. Bennis
If leaders are made what are the ingredients?
- 73 hours of work each week: this adds substance to the recipe of leadership. In addition it will make your hourly wage rate a whooping $.61 cents over minimum wage, and based on current calculation may make you eligible for some social assistance.
- One Wal*Mart Greeter’s vest: this will make you stand out as a leader and make you human and welcoming to all employees and to be able to show them where the toilet paper is. It may also give you experience in a future job you may hold to supplement your retirement income.
- One M.B.A. this will demonstrate a willingness to do many meaningless assignments at university to get your degree and future employers will seize that skill set to have you perform many meaningless activities at work.
- One Coach: someone who is willing to stand in your future and say it is impossible.
- One BlackBerry: this will keep you in constant contact without you ever having to really engage with the living breathing employee standing right in front of you asking, “can I have six months of paid leave to look after my aging budgie bird?”
Dr. Z.’s Leadership Point to Ponder: Leadership is for the birds so whatever you do don’t budge, budget.